[Logo]

Home Page       Intelivisto       Search        Recent Topics        Hottest Topics        Login
Messages posted by: GustavDoorca (IV08977301)
Forum Index » Profile for GustavDoorca (IV08977301) » Messages posted by GustavDoorca (IV08977301)
Americans are oddly obsessed with protein.

They eat around twice as much of it as the federal government recommends, and 60 percent of US adults are trying to get even more of it into their diets. And this obsession could be making us sick: Excessive protein consumption, especially from cholesterol-rich animal-based foods, is correlated with increased risk of cancer and heart disease.

This doesn’t just affect those following high-protein, keto, paleo, or low-carb diets (which, combined, is more than 1 in 5 Americans). It’s a problem for most Americans, especially men. One small, informal study in the UK even found that some men who want to reduce their meat consumption are embarrassed to order vegetarian meals among male friends.

Excessive protein consumption is also wrecking the planet, with meat and dairy production accounting for upward of one-fifth of greenhouse gas emissions.

Globally, most people exceed protein consumption recommendations, but Americans and Canadians take it to another level. Despite eating more protein than any other region, Americans and Canadians eat the least amount of plant-based protein — instead, they get it from animal meat, dairy, and eggs.

This explains why one of the first questions people ask when they learn someone is vegetarian, or just reducing their meat intake, is “Where do you get your protein?” But there are many plant-based foods high in protein, like beans, tofu, tempeh, lentils, peanut butter, plant-based “meat” products, nuts, and soy milk.

Unless you’re pretty ambitious about bodybuilding, you probably don’t need to worry about whether you’re getting enough protein while trying to reduce meat consumption or become vegetarian.

“On a vegetarian or vegan diet, you can get enough protein if you eat an adequate number of calories from a variety of whole foods,” says Nancy Geib, a registered dietitian at the Cleveland Clinic’s Center for Diabetes and Nutrition. And if you are trying to gain a lot of muscle, it’s even possible to compete at the highest level of strength sports as a vegetarian or vegan: In 2016, Kendrick Farris — who is vegan — was the only American to compete in men’s weightlifting at the Rio Olympics.

But one nutrient the average American isn’t eating nearly enough of is fiber, and eating more plant-based foods is a surefire way to change that.

A 2021 study found only 7 percent of Americans get enough fiber, a problem nutritionists call the “fiber gap.” Fiber is critical because it’s “amazingly helpful in many ways: It slows the absorption of glucose — which evens out our blood sugar levels — and also lowers cholesterol and inflammation,” former Vox senior health correspondent Julia Belluz wrote.

A fiber-heavy diet is associated with reduced risk of heart disease, stroke, high cholesterol, hypertension, certain cancers, and more. It can also improve your gut health and help keep you more regular, if that’s important to you. Luckily, the most fiber-rich foods happen to be plants: beans, avocados, berries, whole grains, broccoli, potatoes, nuts, and dried fruit.

There are many health benefits to be reaped from a plant-based diet as well. According to the American Dietetic Association, well-planned vegan diets are healthful and nutritionally adequate and can contribute to the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. (Well-planned = eating in a way that is balanced and not obsessing over health or “purity.”) But let’s be clear: It’s not going to cure cancer, give you perfectly glowing skin, or make you feel amazing all the time, as some of the more fringe corners of the vegan internet might suggest.

Health and nutrition is a sensitive issue, as there’s loads of pseudoscience out there. You can be an unhealthy vegan or flexitarian, a healthy omnivore, or anywhere in between. (Talk to your doctor or a registered dietitian if you have questions about what’s best for you.)

According to a 2015 report from Faunalytics, an animal advocacy research organization, 26 percent of vegetarians and vegans quit their diet because they felt it wasn’t good for their health. That said, the main problems described — like not getting enough protein or iron — could have been addressed with some basic nutrition guidance. Let’s tackle those concerns.

The most important nutrient for vegans to pay attention to is vitamin B12, as it’s almost exclusively found in animal foods.

Vitamin B12 is critical to central nervous system development and function, healthy red blood cell formation, and DNA synthesis, and ignoring it can cause short- and long-term health issues for vegetarians and vegans, though healthy meat reducers under 60 years old need not worry about it.

But it’s easy to get adequate B12 (the recommended daily amount for adults is 2.4 micrograms) for just a few pennies per day. Take vitamin B12 in whatever form you’d like — pills, lozenges, or oral sprays, all of which can be purchased at your local pharmacy or grocery — and, when possible, eat B12-fortified foods (e.g., most breakfast cereals, nutritional yeast, and plant-based milks).

Another critical nutrient is iron. As with protein, some think it’s hard to get enough iron on a less- or no-meat diet, since meat and other animal products are high in iron. However, many plant-based foods are high in iron, too. For example, half a cup of cooked lentils has almost twice as much iron as 4 ounces of beef, and vegans and vegetarians usually consume more iron than omnivores, according to registered dietitian Ginny Messina.

The catch is that iron from plant-based foods — called non-heme iron — doesn’t absorb as well in the body as iron from animal sources. Because of this, vegetarians should eat almost twice as much iron as the recommended daily amount, which ranges from 8 to 27 milligrams, depending on age, sex, and whether you’re pregnant or lactating.

Like eating enough protein, that’s manageable because iron is found in a lot of commonly eaten plant-based foods: beans, lentils, soy products, nuts, seeds, squashes, dark leafy greens, oats, dried fruit, and quinoa. I recommend Messina’s “vegan nutrition primers” for more practical, evidence-based nutrition guidance.

Now that you’re aware of the fiber gap, try to close it by eating a few fiber-rich foods this week — and be sure to share this story with anyone who asks how you’ll get enough protein on a less-meat diet.?

Anyone else's psychiatrist ask them "do the voices come from one side?" or "which side to the voices come from?" Mine always asks this and I'm curious why, but afraid to ask. Like, I don't know they sound like they're coming from all kinds of places... Next to me, in front of me, or usually directly behind me.

It's one among the string of questions she asks me about the voices during our appointments, but I get worried that it's a question meant to "trip me up" and catch me faking

I know this is an unsubstantiated fear, I just can't help but be afraid this is what she's doing. It especially bothers me today since this morning I saw a post basically saying that they ask all these questions to weed out fakers.

A former science adviser to British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher says the real purpose of the United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen on Dec. 7-18 is to use global warming hype as a pretext to lay the foundation for a one-world government.

“At the 2009 United Nations Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen this December, weeks away, a treaty will be signed,” Lord Christopher Monckton told a Minnesota Free Market Institute audience on Thursday at Bethel University in St. Paul.

“Your president will sign it. Most of the Third World countries will sign it, because they think they’re going to get money out of it. Most of the left-wing regimes from the European Union will rubber stamp it. Virtually nobody won’t sign it,” he told the audience of some 700 attendees.

"I read that treaty and what it says is this: that a world government is going to be created. The word ‘government’ actually appears as the first of three purposes of the new entity.

“The second purpose is the transfer of wealth from the countries of the West to Third World countries, in satisfaction of what is called, coyly, ‘climate debt’ – because we’ve been burning CO2 and they haven’t. We’ve been screwing up the climate and they haven’t. And the third purpose of this new entity, this government is enforcement.”

In an hour and a half lecture illustrated by slides featuring scientific data on a wide range of climate issues, Monckton refuted claims made by former Vice President Al Gore in his movie and book entitled “An Inconvenient Truth,” as well as scientific arguments made by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Monckton argued that President Obama will sign the Copenhagen treaty at the December meeting, without seeking a two-thirds ratification of the treaty by the Senate, or any other type of Congressional approval.

“So, thank you, America. You were the beacon of freedom to the world. It is a privilege to stand on this soil of freedom while it is still free,” he continued. "But, in the next few weeks, unless you stop it, your president will sign your freedom, your democracy, and your humanity away forever.

“But I think it is here, here in your great nation, which I so love and I so admire – it is here that perhaps, at this eleventh hour, at the fifty-ninth minute and fifty-ninth second, you will rise up and you will stop your president from signing that dreadful treaty, that purposeless treaty. For there is no problem with the climate and, even if there were, an economic treaty does nothing to help it.”

Monckton is a well-known critic of the theory of anthropogenic causes for global warming who has argued repeatedly that global warming hysteria is an ideological position of the political Left advanced in the interest of imposing global taxes on the United States in the pursuit of international control of the U.S. economy under a one-world government to be administered by the U.N.

Monckton’s lecture can be viewed online and his slides also can be accessed on the Internet.

Where’s the global warming?

As evidence mounts that the United States is headed toward a cooling cycle that may last decades, global alarmists within the Obama administration remain resolved to push cap-and-trade legislation through Congress on the increasingly dubious theory that man-made carbon emissions are creating global warming.

In what has to be seen as increasingly bad news for global warming alarmists, scientific evidence is mounting that temperatures in the United States have cooled at a rate that would be projected to lower temperatures 7.3 degrees Fahrenheit over the next century.

It is kinda funny that both taeyong and jungkook have had their vapes sold out but on a serious note, it’s not cool to vape, neither is the start of a nicotine addiction. It’s so hard to stop once you’ve started, speaking from experience. Vaping originally was advertised as the stepping stone to stop smoking cigarettes but with all the flavours and things it has exploded with more people vaping. I don’t mean to be annoying but honestly don’t vape.

i am sure (or hoping) most people are keeping the vape as a keepsake from their idol but i better see none of you vaping because of them
Foreign Secretary James Cleverly has called on gay football fans to show some respect and make compromises if they want to attend the World Cup in Qatar.

Gay people are usually criminalised in Qatar where it’s illegal to be anything but heterosexual. Generously, the authorities there have agreed to refrain from persecuting gay football fans throughout the contest. Cleverly is supportive of this kind and liberal stance but asks people to please, don’t flaunt your gayness!

What do you think? Do people have a duty to make compromises in the face of homophobia and prejudice? Is it reasonable to ask people to be respectful and discreet by hiding who they are if they want to watch live football? Or is Cleverly suffering a true failure of nominative determinism here?

it's my birthday and it's time to party :txt41:

I'm now 30 :txt43:

@zuzuhhaa

Minazuki

@Sweet-Spice

butterbutterfly

crazydoll86

itsymoo

Hilary-21

@Lizzinx

Ves

cle19

aznboy-x2

Roses-are-Rosie

YouChanDoThis

MK3AM

bunnyviolet
Anyone here partake in dry herb vaping?

I own a Tinymight 2, several Dynavaps, Xmax V3 Pro, Arizer Extreme Q, to name a few of the vapes.

Whats your experience?
Owning an M3 has been my dream for long. However I am now torn. With the impending onslaught of BEVs, is this a right time to invest good coin in a G80? I can't afford both an M3 AND a BEV. I have to choose between a Tesla Model S and a G80.

Any of you go through a similar thought process? What do you think?
Hey all! So I'm looking for advice on the first start for my '22 ZL1.

I want to make sure I don't cause any issues considering it's brand new lol. Here's the story.

Bought it late November (Got lucky and found a dealer near me who had one in stock). Drove it roughly 200 miles home, and then it started snowing so I garaged it and hooked it up to the oem chevy battery tender. Garage is uninsulated so it felt all the cold).

On my 2010 mustang gt I had, I would pull the fuel fuse and crank the engine with they key for a few seconds to get oil pumped up on top of the crankcase after sitting for the winter.

On the 2019 1SS I had, I only had it from March to September last year so it never got winter stored.

How should I do it with this car? Do I do the pull fuse method? Considering this is push button, how does that work. Will the car keep cranking and cranking if I hit the button and it doesn't start or will it stop cranking after a certain point?

Is there another method I should do?

I've heard about the issues with lifters, tick, etc etc on this car and oil is the key to longevity. I would not like to start the car with it being dry on top of the crankcase if I can help it.

Any tips is appreciated.

Thank you!
Do you guys prep crypto in case the banks go down? We all know what hyperinflation can do... I never got into the whole Bitcoin thing, but I recently found an app in the app store that seems to be doing something similar. It looks to be very popular so there might be some potential in giving it a try. Its called Pi Network. So If someone wants to join in on the «mining» I can share my invite code, or what ever they call it, in a PM.
We have a B2 & Leslie at church I've been playing for a few months.
I'm sure I'll be asked to play a funeral sometime.
I have no idea what to play, but it better be simple.
Any suggestions for funeral music books?
Thanks

The local store is expensive, so I’m hoping to buy them online from now on. I'm looking for topical CBD and CBN for pain and sleep aid, respectively, that are on the more potent side.
Hi I’ve only just come back on here and started watching streams again and found Nick slots channel on you tube but last video was like 3 years ago does he not post anymore does anyone know what happend to him
I remember reading about a recent (last couple of years or sooner) book that came out on patination. I was interested because the review said that each recipe had a colour picture of the patina. Something that most other books lack, or their pictures are in a different place to the recipe so alot of page turning back and forth is requires.
I cant remember where I saw the review for this book, here or youtube. If anyone knows this book can you post a link please
Thanks

Store could launch as soon as next year if regulators clear Activision Blizzard deal.
Microsoft is preparing to launch a new app store for games on iPhones and Android smartphones as soon as next year if its $75 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard is cleared by regulators, according to the head of its Xbox business.

New rules requiring Apple and Google to open up their mobile platforms to app stores owned and operated by other companies are expected to come into force from March 2024 under the EU’s Digital Markets Act.

“We want to be in a position to offer Xbox and content from both us and our third-party partners across any screen where somebody would want to play,” said Phil Spencer, chief executive of Microsoft Gaming, in an interview ahead of this week’s annual Game Developers Conference in San Francisco.

“Today, we can’t do that on mobile devices but we want to build towards a world that we think will be coming where those devices are opened up.”

Microsoft is fighting with regulators in the US, Europe, and UK, which have all raised concerns about the potential impact on competition from the owner of the Xbox console buying the developer of Call of Duty, one of the world’s most popular games franchises. PlayStation-maker Sony has been a vocal opponent of the deal.

However, Spencer argued that the deal could boost competition in what he called the “largest platform people play on”—smartphones—where Apple and Google operate what some antitrust authorities have called a “duopoly” over distribution of games and other apps.

“The Digital Markets Act that’s coming—those are the kinds of things that we are planning for,” he said. “I think it’s a huge opportunity.”

Under the DMA, the EU is expected to designate Apple and Google as “gatekeepers,” requiring them to change the rules that govern how apps are distributed on iPhones and Android devices. However, the Big Tech companies could appeal against the designation, delaying enforcement beyond next March’s deadline.
Advertisement

While acknowledging it was hard to predict exactly when Microsoft would be able to launch its own store, Spencer said it would be “pretty trivial” for the company to adapt its Xbox and Game Pass apps to sell games and subscriptions on mobile devices. Microsoft’s current lack of mobile games was an “obvious hole in our capability” that it needed Activision Blizzard to fill, he added.

Hit titles such as Call of Duty Mobile, Diablo Immortal, and Candy Crush Saga, as well as more in development, would be “critically important” in attracting players away from Apple and Google’s marketplaces to an Xbox mobile store, he said.

Microsoft and Apple have tussled for years over how the software giant’s cloud-based gaming service, which is part of Xbox Game Pass, operates on iPhones.

Microsoft has argued Apple’s App Store rules restrict its ability to offer cloud gaming through a single app that runs natively on the iPhone, forcing users to access the service via a web browser, resulting in lower performance.

Apple has denied it blocks cloud gaming apps, but App Store rules require providers to list each game on the App Store individually. Similar to restrictions on Amazon’s Kindle ereader app, Apple does not allow individual games to be purchased from a storefront within native apps.

The UK’s Competition and Markets Authority announced in November that it was investigating Apple’s stance on cloud games, following its Mobile Ecosystem Market Study.

But the CMA is also proving a significant hurdle to Microsoft completing its acquisition of Activision Blizzard, after the agency last month said the deal raised multiple competition concerns that could only be resolved by a spin-off of its blockbuster Call of Duty franchise.

Microsoft has argued that divesting Call of Duty would undermine its rationale for the deal, which was first announced in January last year. It is trying to persuade the CMA that proposed behavioral remedies, such as commitments to license Call of Duty to rival consoles and cloud services, such as its recent deals with Nintendo and Nvidia, would satisfy its concerns.

In Brussels, Microsoft had made “binding commitments” to the European Commission to make Activision Blizzard content available to rival cloud gaming providers, as part of a deal to appease competition concerns with EU regulators, said people with direct knowledge of the discussions.

The concessions were a sign that regulators in Brussels had dropped key concerns to narrow their investigation on cloud gaming, these people said.

Forum Index » Profile for GustavDoorca (IV08977301) » Messages posted by GustavDoorca (IV08977301)
Go to: