[Logo]

Home Page       Intelivisto       Search        Recent Topics        Hottest Topics        Login
Yield farming: An investing strategy involving staking or lending crypto assets to generate returns
Forum Index » Equity Market (IPOs, Fundamental & Technical Analysis)
vanesssa (IV07753301)

Yield farming is a means of earning interest on your cryptocurrency, similar to how you'd earn interest on any money in your savings account. And similarly to depositing money in a bank, yield farming involves locking up your cryptocurrency, called "staking," for a period of time in exchange for interest or other rewards, such as more cryptocurrency.

"When traditional loans are made through banks, the amount lent out is paid back with interest," explains Daniel R. Hill, CFP, AIF and president of Hill Wealth Strategies. "With yield farming, the concept is the same: cryptocurrency that would normally just be sitting in an account is instead lent out in order to generate returns."

Since yield farming began in 2020, yield farmers have earned returns in the form of annual percentage yields (APY) that can reach triple digits. But this potential return comes at high risk, with the protocols and coins earned subject to extreme
volatility
and rug pulls wherein developers abandon a project and make off with investors' funds.

Note: The returns you earn by yield farming are expressed as APY, or the rate of return you'd earn during a year.

Understanding how yield farming works
Also known as
liquidity
farming, yield farming works by first allowing an investor to stake their coins by depositing them into a lending protocol through a decentralized app, or dApp. Other investors can then borrow the coins through the dApp to use for speculation, where they try to profit off of sharp swings they anticipate in the coin's market price.

"Yield farming is simply a rewards program for early adopters," says Jay Kurahashi-Sofue, VP of marketing at Ava Labs, a team supporting development of the Avalanche public blockchain that works with several defi applications that offer yield farming.

Blockchain-based apps offer incentives for users to provide liquidity by locking up their coins in a process called staking. "Staking occurs when centralized crypto platforms take customers' deposits and lend them out to those seeking credit," Hill says. "Creditors pay interest, depositors receive a certain proportion of that and then the bank takes the rest."

"This lending is usually facilitated through smart contracts, which are essentially just a piece of code running on a blockchain, functioning as a liquidity pool," says Brian Dechesare, former investment banker and CEO of financial career platform Breaking Into Wall Street. "Users who are yield farming, also known as liquidity providers, lend their funds by adding them to a smart contract."

Investors who lock up their coins on the yield-farming protocol can earn interest and often more cryptocurrency coins — the real boon to the deal. If the price of those additional coins appreciates, the investor's returns rise as well.

This process provides the liquidity newly launched blockchain apps need to sustain long-term growth, says Kurahashi-Sofue. "[These apps] can increase community participation and secure this liquidity by rewarding users with incentives like their own governance tokens, app transaction fees and other funds," Kurahashi-Sofue says.

Kurahashi-Sofue adds that you could compare yield farming to the early days of ride-sharing. "Uber, Lyft, and other ride-sharing apps needed to bootstrap growth, so they provided incentives for early users who referred other users onto the platform," he says.

Another incentive for staking is to accumulate enough shares of the cryptocurrency to force a hard fork where a major infrastructural change is made to the design of the cryptocurrency, says Daniel J. Smith, professor of economics in the Political Economy Research Institute at Middle Tennessee State University.

Note: A hard fork is a change in a cryptocurrency network's protocol that causes blocks or transactions to be either validated or invalidated, forcing developers to upgrade their protocol software.

"Hard forks enable the holders of crypto to force changes that would, at least in the opinion of the majority of the holders, improve the cryptocurrency going forward," Smith says. In a way, hard forking gives crypto investors a power similar to what share voting does for stockholders. The same way shareholders can vote on key matters affecting the management or direction of the companies they invest in, cryptocurrency holders can use hard forks to push a cryptocurrency protocol in a certain direction.

Staking coins to cause a hard fork "allows crypto to take on (this) important characteristic of equity investments," Smith adds, and "moves crypto from a cash-like investment in a portfolio to a quasi-equity investment."

Is yield farming safe?
Yield farming is rife with risk. Some of these risks include:

Volatility: Volatility is the degree to which an investment's price fluctuates. A volatile investment is one that experiences a lot of price movement in a short period of time. The price of your tokens could crash or surge while they're locked up.
Fraud: Yield farmers may unwittingly put their coins into fraudulent projects or schemes that make off with all of the farmer's coins. In fact, fraud and misappropriation account for the vast majority of the $1.9 billion in crypto crimes in 2020, according to a report by CipherTrace.
Rug pulls: Rug pulls are a type of exit scam where a cryptocurrency developer gathers investor funds for a project then abandons the project without returning investors' funds. The previously mentioned CipherTrace report noted that nearly 99% of the major fraud that occurred during the second half of the year was due to rug pulls and other exit scams, which yield farmers are particularly susceptible to.
Smart contract risk: The smart contracts used in yield farming can have bugs or be susceptible to hacking, putting your cryptocurrency at risk. "Most of the risks with yield farming relate to the underlying smart contracts," Kurahashi-Sofue says. Better code vetting and third party audits are improving the security of these contracts.
Impermanent loss: The value of your cryptocurrency could rise or fall while it is staked, creating temporarily unrealized gains or losses. These gains or losses become permanent when you withdraw your coins, and may result in you having been better off if you'd kept your coins available to trade if the loss is greater than the interest you earned.
Regulatory risk: There are still many regulatory questions around cryptocurrency. The SEC has stated that some digital assets are securities and thus fall under its jurisdiction, allowing it to regulate them. State regulators have already issued cease and desist orders against one of the biggest crypto lending sites, BlockFi.
DylanBrown (IV07293901)

Thank you a lot for this information, to be honest, it's always useful for me to get some information about yield farming right now so I appreciate your help.
Oliverrrrrr (IV07126301)

Thanks for sharing vanessa. Thought I'd share a tutorial from one crypto custody wallet provider who supports institional investors in their quest for DeFi yield. Feel free to check out this piece from Trustology on how to yield farm using their TrustVault wallet and forked MetaMask extension.
TylerMarkle (IV09711901)

We all obtain amazing a lot of Cool about Safe Galaxy interesting photos nevertheless we solely present this image that any of us consider to include the ideal reading. Gate.io’s main selling factor is its wide selection of trading pairs. The score is based on the site’s research on social media platforms such as Reddit, on the off chance, a hacker manages to break through Gemini’s SOC 2 security measures and steals your crypto. Article https://cryptonewshq.com/2021/04/how-to-buy-safe-galaxy-crypto-is-safe-galaxy-going-to-be-the-next-big-cryptocurrency/ will help you to understand how to buy Galaxy crypto. A humble fellow who fancy investing and technology. Simply connect with your mobile device and begin managing and transferring virtual assets from anywhere, at any time. The lawsuit should be filed simply on the announcement that they would give holders with 300 dollars worth of SG some Galaxia.
pimlozumlo (IV09500101)

Very efficiently written information. It will be beneficial to anybody who utilizes it, including me. Keep up the good work. For sure i will check out more posts. This site seems to get a good amount of visitors. gift shop
safeje (IV09759201)

Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don't really provide anything that I'm interested in, but I'm most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know. ?????? ????? ??? ?????????
safeje (IV09759201)

I was surfing through the internet to get the fine idea for my problem and instead of fine I got the finest though! Check out them for all the latest options and the best crew for help as well! addiction recovery
safeje (IV09759201)

If you want to solve your issue anytime and as well as in the most competitive prices I would definitely recommend them for this business!! They are the best! twitch bits promotion
safeje (IV09759201)

I was worried about the condition of my life but then I saw advertisements and their work on the internet and I was amazed by the results the provided me through their work! I would simply suggest them for any kind of problem! addiction recovery
safeje (IV09759201)

I am really surprised how great services they offer at very informative platform! Such an amazing setup for our problems! I would like to recommend them to everyone! They are perfect in their work! San Francisco web design company
safeje (IV09759201)

Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful! spbo live score dan prediksi
safeje (IV09759201)

Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. UFABET???????????????

Forum Index » Equity Market (IPOs, Fundamental & Technical Analysis)
Go to: