[Logo]

Home Page       Intelivisto       Search        Recent Topics        Hottest Topics        Login
Survival tips for adventurers
Forum Index » MCCP Exam
Katherine Pensatori (IV010879501)

Hey guys,

I've been wondering lately on our hikes whether we should rely on a compass or rely on our instincts while hiking. I mean, I've had occasions where the compass has led me astray in unfamiliar terrain.

Last summer I was walking in the mountains and my compass kept pointing in one direction, but it didn't seem right to me. I ended up taking a more rugged trail and got to this incredible hidden waterfall that wasn't on the map.

What do you think about it? Do you blindly trust the compass or are you guided by intuition?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 01/11/2023 04:04:06

Homoon (IV010878201)

It's all about finding the right balance between compass and instincts. I've had situations where the compass saved the day when visibility was poor and I couldn't rely on landmarks. But like you, I have had times when the route less traveled turned out to be a better choice.

It is essential to research the area you are hiking in, plan your route and have a good compass, but also be prepared to adapt depending on the circumstances. After all, our ability to navigate the wilderness depends on a combination of skills, tools, and intuition.
Met Certos (IV07731201)

Hello. I value both the compass and my intuition. To add to your skill set, I would like to share a survival tip from https://doomsdayden.com/ that has been a game changer for me in backpacking. On the site you can find practical tips for surviving in the wild. One of the most notable pieces of advice was to create a simple solar compass, consisting only of a stick, a stone and the position of the sun.
I tried this on my last hike and it worked like a charm. This is a fantastic alternative to your traditional compass, especially if you don't have one. Result? I was able to return to camp, and this saved me from getting lost in the forest. So guys, check it out and who knows, maybe it will come in handy on your next adventure!
Bill (IV07731101)

It's a balance, really. Having both the compass as a reliable guide and your instincts as a backup can be the best approach. Nature is unpredictable, after all.

Forum Index » MCCP Exam
Go to: